The Association for Specialist Fire Protection has announced the shortlist for its 2021 Passive Fire Protection Awards, with the winners due to be announced on 26 November at the Association’s Awards Lunch at the Edwardian Hotel in Manchester. The awards will be presented by broadcaster, naturalist and marine biologist Monty Hall.
The 2021 event will see awards presented in six categories, each recognising excellence within the passive fire protection industry, at company and individual level.
Three companies have been shortlisted for the ASFP Installation of the Year award:
- CLM Fireproofing – C-19 Mega Lab: Having provided compliant, high-quality fire protection throughout this Covid-19 Laboratory in Leamington Spa, CLM has ensured the important work being conducted in the Mega Lab is safeguarded and can continue uninterrupted.
- Coopers Fire – Monash Chancellery University: The installation of this large, bespoke engineered fire curtain illustrates the close working partnership and capabilities of both Coopers Fire and Greene Fire in providing a passive fire safety solution in this unique and complex building.
- Optimum Drywall Systems – SCCC – Grange University Hospital: As one of the largest passive fire protection projects in the South-west and Wales, this project presented many design challenges that were resolved with innovative solutions. It demonstrated that a positive collaboration of design, client, supplier and installation professionals can be achieved.
The Passive Fire Protection Innovation of the Year.award shortlist consists of:
- Siderise Insulation – Masonry Envelope PFP Solutions: This new suite of passive fire protection products for masonry facades has been engineered to meet the specific construction challenges of brickwork facades. The range includes the External Wall (EW) and enhanced External Wall Intumescent (EWI) systems and the Siderise BB Balcony Bracket.
- Global HSE Solutions – Independent Scrutineer Service: Global’s Fire Scrutineer service monitors fire safety at the three gateways of construction: design, construction and pre-occupation. At each, Global provides desk top analysis and site visits to ensure that all design and actual build details are compliant and installed correctly. Evidential, auditable records are provided for the O&M manuals.
- Interact Structural Fire Protection – Easy-Over System: The Easy-Over system is a seamless extruded, cast epoxy intumescent for the fire protection of small diameter bars. It delivers integrity by specific fire testing, reliability and a high-quality decorative finish. The Easy-Over is largely a one thickness fits all system, which provides up to two hours of fire protection.
The ASFP Training and Development of the Year award, is a new accolade that recognises an individual or organisation which has demonstrated training and development activities which have broadened knowledge and understanding within the sector. The award shortlist includes: Alec Purdie of Quelfire; Neville White of Encon Insulation; and the team at Neo Property Solutions.
The remaining Awards recognise individual accomplishments and include: the Individual Rising Star of the Year, a new award which will recognise the achievements of a new entrant to the industry who has shown exceptional potential and strives to achieve success; the Lifetime Contribution Award for an individual who has demonstrated exceptional practice and contributed to the industry over a significant period of time; and the Advocate of the Year, a non-member who has worked to raise awareness, educate and promote quality passive fire protection.
ASFP CEO Steve Davies offered his congratulations to all the shortlisted individuals and companies:
“The ASFP Passive Fire Protection Awards aim to highlight excellence in passive fire protection and reward those who contribute to the advancement of the sector. I would like to congratulate all those who have been shortlisted in 2021. Every entry was of a very high standard and the variety of entries served to demonstrate the excellent work, expertise, professionalism and commitment of our members.
“After the challenges we have faced throughout the pandemic, we are delighted to finally be able to invite our members and guests to gather together to celebrate our achievements. We look forward to welcoming you to Manchester.”
For further information on the ASFP and for passive fire protection advice, visit www.asfp.org.uk