London Fire Brigade warns over use of camping stoves to cut energy bills

Share this content


London Fire Brigade (LFB) has warned people not to use camping stoves or barbeques indoors as a way to cut down on energy costs.

The warning follows several viral “life hack” videos encouraging people to use improvised heating devices to save money amid the UK’s cost-of-living crisis.

“It might be tempting to use a camping stove or barbecue indoors to save on energy costs, but doing so is not only a fire risk, it could also lead to carbon monoxide poisoning,” LFB said in a post on Twitter. “Only use these items outdoors.”

Fire chiefs warned people not to make the devices, which have become popularised in “life hack” videos on social media sites, including TikTok.

Receive the latest breaking news straight to your inbox